Potli massage therapy is done using heated herbal pouches also known as potlis that are used to nourish the affected area. Potlis contains a selection of ayurvedic herbs both fresh and dried. They are packed in a muslin cloth and dipped in warm medicated oil or sand and then nourished onto specific points for healing.
Potli massages work on an age-related old philosophy which is based on the confluence of the elements of fire and water combined with specific herbs. The content of the potli is specific to the illness and the person’s body. Herbs used are Ashwagandha, mustard, neem, lemon, mint, aloe vera, cardamom, and lavender.
There are three types of potli massages:
- For rejuvenation and detoxification
- For pain relief, muscle tension and joint pain
- For stress release and migraine pain
- Gives relief from pain and inflammation
- Improves Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Alleviates the pain that comes with illnesses like osteoarthritis and spondylitis
- Increases blood circulation to the affected area and relieves inflammation
- Beneficial in frozen shoulders
- Beneficial in the detoxification of the body
- Improves mobility and flexibility
- Very helpful in muscle stiffness and spasms. It opens the pores and relaxes the muscles.