Greeva Vasti consists of two words, Greeva (neck) and Basti (to hold). It is a Panchakarma therapy which alleviates the discomforts related to the neck, shoulders, and spine. It works through Snehana (lubrication) and swedana (sweating).
In this therapy, dough of kneaded gram flour is rolled out in the shape of a hollow pit on the nape of the neck and upper back. After the pit is thoroughly sealed, warm medicated oil is slowly poured in it. The key here is to keep the temperature of the oil constant. This process is done for 30 minutes and then the oil is drained out of the pit followed by a light massage of the affected area. It results in oleation and better circulation of blood to the spine, shoulders and arms.
- Effectively treats cervical spondylosis, ankylosing spondylitis and fibromyalgia
- Alleviates migraines and tension headaches
- Reduces nerve compression (in the neck)
- Alleviates muscular spasm in the shoulders
- Eases stiffness of neck
- Treats spinal stenosis effectively